Header

Creative Tradition: Online Family Boutique of Handmade Treasures Online Shop Our Blog Facebook Twitter
Our Story Events Shop Children Adults Pets Home Holidays

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Garlic Mushroom Couscous Recipe

Continuing on with our healthier traditions in 2012 I'm experimenting with new recipes and products.  This is the second time I cooked couscous, the first being a winter salad for our annual Christmas party.  The salad didn't make much of an impression on my guests but I had left over dry couscous and wanted something healthier then mashed potatoes (my personal weakness) so I tried a savory couscous last night. It turned out very nice with sauteed chicken breast, white wine gravy and roasted fancy carrots.

Garlic Mushroom Couscous
Makes about 2 cups.

INGREDIENTS
1 Tbl. butter or olive oil
1 Tbl. minced garlic
2 medium shallots
1/4 cup chives
1/2 to 1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup chicken broth, reduced sodium
1 cup couscous

INSTRUCTIONS
In a sauce pan, melt butter. (Have the sauce pan lid handy).
Add garlic, shallots, chives, and mushrooms. Saute till tender.
Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Stir in couscous.
Cover and remove from heat.
Let stand for 5 minutes.
Fluff with fork prior to serving.

I think adding some chopped walnuts and artichoke hearts would really elevate the dish. Unfortunately the hubby is allergic to walnuts and really dislikes artichokes, in fact I was pushing it with the mushrooms but left them big enough for him to eat around.

No comments:

Post a Comment