Header

Creative Tradition: Online Family Boutique of Handmade Treasures Online Shop Our Blog Facebook Twitter
Our Story Events Shop Children Adults Pets Home Holidays

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Seasonal Decorating: Springtime

Decorating for holidays has always been a big tradition in our family. On the first day of every month my mother would have us all help take down the past month's decorations and put up the next month's.  Now I'm 'nesting' with my husband and creating our own holiday decorations.  We got married in October so I started decorating for my favorite holiday, Christmas. You can see a few pictures of the decorations in our Facebook photo album. I also kinda decorated for Valentines but didn't take any pictures because we had decided to upgrade our TV which lead to us getting a new couch, a new TV stand, a new coffee table and a new clock. It was a lot of work but we've finally finished rearranging our living room! Then it was my turn to decorate!

Springtime Decorations
The decorations all started with a remnant from Joann's. I love remnants!  They are small pieces of fabric, usually a yard or less at the end of a bolt and are 50% off!  We get a lot of remnants because most of our projects like our historic Barbie dresses don't need a lot of fabric.  The remnant was beautiful, but it was only 18" and I needed 18.5" inches to make an 18" pillow cover. So my mom, Jeanine, and I spent 15 minutes hunting for the bolt or roll of this beautiful modern cream, mustard, teal, green and brown leaf fabric that was perfect for my room.  Unfortunately, we couldn't find it anywhere.
We had found some coordinating fabric for more pillow covers so we went to the cutting table.  As we were measuring and cutting I looked up and what caught my eye? The roll of the exact fabric we were looking for! It was meant to be!  I purchased several yards and started sewing. I made 11 pillow covers in various sizes and 4 reversible placemats, but fabric isn't everything!  A few trips to my favorite home decor stores provided the finishing details to make our springtime home beautiful.

Arm Chair and Round Decorative Table
Springtime Mantle with "Love Lasts Forever" sign
Bookcase decorations with the L-O-V-E jar.
Lift-top Wedge Coffee Table set for the two newlyweds.
 
You can have these same springtime decorations!  
SHOPPING LIST
Espresso pedastal candle holders and candles from Ikea.
Ceramic bird candles and greenery from Pier 1.
Metal trio candle holder and hanging Love sign from tpt home.
Fabric and ceramic LOVE bottles from Joann's.
Coasters, round table, table cloth, and round placemats from Bed, Bath & Beyond.
Clock from Target.
Lift-top wedge coffee table from Living Spaces.

3/31/11 UPDATE
My decorating leaked out into the dinning room!  Check out the custom covers I made for some Ikea chairs.

Check back for our next holiday decorations: 4th of July
What I love about our decorations is how with a few changes, I can change the colors and feel of our home.  I can switch the pillow cases, placemats, colored candles, LOVE jar greenery, and birds with the next season's decorations.

Our next holiday I'll be decorating for will be 4th of July, my mother's second favorite holiday.  Joann's has some beautiful patriotic fabric, so much in fact that we purchased enough to make some placemats to sell online.  Here is a sneak peak at the main fabric I'll be using to celebrate Independence Day.

2 comments:

  1. Jenn, just add interior decorator to your resume...girl, is there anything you can't do? THAT is the question!!! (by the way, this is Lisa B.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment, Lisa. So far the only thing I've discovered I can't do is hula hooping ;)

    ReplyDelete