Header

Creative Tradition: Online Family Boutique of Handmade Treasures Online Shop Our Blog Facebook Twitter
Our Story Events Shop Children Adults Pets Home Holidays

Monday, May 30, 2011

Potluck Four Bean Salad

This recipe is a family favorite and is perfect for BBQs and potlucks. The vibrant colors of the different beans looks great and the dressing really brings out all the flavors.

I call it Grandma Freda's Bean Salad but I've been told its derived from a Betty Crocker recipe but I haven't found it on their web site. My Great Grandma Freda died 6 years ago and I always get nostalgic when I eat this salad. It reminds me of summer vacations I spent at her house as a child.

Makes about 10 cups.

INGREDIENTS
2 cans cut green beans
2 cans wax beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 red onion
1 bell pepper (yellow or orange looks best)
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup salad oil
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Open all cans of beans, drain, and place beans in a large bowl.
  2. Slice bell peppers about the same size as the green or wax beans. Add to bowl.
  3. Cut onion into medium squares, about 5/8". Add to bowl.
  4. In a 2 cup glass measure, combine all remaining ingredients for the dressing. Whisk and pour over beans in the bowl. (I love the dressing so much, I usually double the dressing compared to the beans)
  5. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours prior to serving.
OPTIONS
Mix the ratios of beans based on your preferences. I like to add an extra can of wax beans. I don't like bell peppers so I don't usually include them unless its for a potluck while my grandmother leaves out the onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment